Dogthusiast is a dog blog that is dedicated to pet guardians who are enthusiastic about their companion dogs (and cats!) Although located in the San Francisco Bay Area, posts will be about local and not-so-local topics, as long as it pertains to our favorite companion animals. Dogthusiast writes about dog training and behavior, animal welfare and advocacy, rescue, local events, interesting pet products or services that we (actually) use, and anything else that involves our favorite four-legged friends.
What I believe in:
- Adopting your companion animals, as you can find amazing dogs and cats who do not have homes of any size, breed, and age
- Treating dogs with love and respect: they are companions, not pets
- Off leash recreation
- Reducing the amount of treats to bait behavior, and instead use solid relationships and emotion to train your companion
- Keep health care and diet as natural as possible
- Having an open mind when it comes to different viewpoints (on anything, including dogs)
Who I am
Jen deHaan is an animal advocate, volunteer, dog blogger, graphic designer, and dog person living in the San Francisco Bay Area, California (Sunnyvale, CA). She likes to support local and national efforts for animal welfare and advocacy. Jen enjoys learning about dog training and behavior, and has taken several courses and seminars since 2010. Courses have included Trish King’s CBA course, John Rogerson‘s aggression seminar, and his and 21 day intensive on behavior and training in India. She has been a shelter volunteer and Dog Training class assistant, and assisting with other local advocacy projects. Jen runs a small business making handmade dog products called Stylish Canine, and is an independent consultant in the software industry. Jen also takes her dog Mort to flyball practice, and is starting to teach him Disc Dog. Her other dog Tig likes to practice looking pretty.
If you have a story or anything else you would like to share, please contact us.
Where is DOGthusiast (online):