This month, for Adventure Dog Blog Hop and #AdventureDogChat, we’re talking about water activities with your dog. Because California is pretty much out of water, we’re down to the ocean and dock diving at the moment. So I thought I’d recap an outing we took awhile back to a dock diving pool.
A couple months ago, we took Mort out to try dock diving for the second time. Well, I’m not too sure I would count the first time as the first time because Mort only got two quick tries at going in the water. It wasn’t enough! So I say it doesn’t really count.
So now Mort tries dock diving for real
So we took Mort out for an hour with our good dog friend Vader at Doggone Dirty Dock Diving. It’s this neat place in a town called Hollister, and it’s home to this wonderful facility that has a dock diving pool and hosts other events such as Barn Hunt.
Not to mention, there’s a really good spot for sandwiches on the way there (or back). Bonus.
How we got Mort in the pool
On our first try, Mort managed to get in the pool – just. The dogs walk down the ramp and into the water, and the ramp can be a bit off putting because it’s a tad slippery.
The pool is very unnatural because the water is clear so the dogs can perceive that its deep (unlike a lake). Mort throws himself into a lake with wild abandon… but he was very cautious about this water.
What really helped: a floaty vest. This gave him the confidence to go down that ramp, and the toy became easy motivation to get this dog in the water.
Repeat for success
So we just repeat it over and over, and soon Mort was actually jumping off the ramp into the pool with that same wild abandon, and eagerly waiting for me to toss the toy again.
What about the dock?
Nope – no luck there this time. He was really, really close as you can see here but wasn’t quite ready to jump on his own. He really just wanted to head back to that ramp to go again. Maybe next time!
More photos of dock diving
For the full gallery of our visit, with special guest Vader from Vader’s World, see our gallery shots below.
Join the Adventure Dog Blog Hop and #AdventureDogChat!
DOGthusiast and Tiffany’s Diamond Dogs co-host the Adventure Dog blog hop every Tuesday. We’re also partnering with YouDidWhatWithYourWeiner.com who hosts a monthly Twitter Chat called #AdventureDogChat. The blog hop and Twitter chat focus on doing stuff with your dog: adventures, activities, training, sports, and more!
How to join the Twitter Chat:
- Join the Twitter chat on the third Wednesday of every month at 5pm PST.
- Use the hashtag #AdventureDogChat to join!
- How to participate in a Twitter chat? Check out this post for how to participate in one. More questions? Ask in the comments below!
How to join the Blog Hop:
Here are the details on how to join the hop. For more information about this blog hop, and blog hops in general, see our page about the Adventure Dog Blog Hop.
- Grab the badge: Download (right-click to save) or Link to it using the following code, your choice!
- Link to your hosts, DOGthusiast and Tiffany’s Diamond Dogs. For ease of use, copy this code (there’s a copy button in the top right corner of the code box!):
This post is part of the Adventure Dog blog hop, hosted by DOGthusiast and Tiffany's Diamond Dogs every Tuesday.
- Add your link to the hop! Click “Get the Code” below, add your information and link to your post, and you’re in the hop! Promote your post on your social networks such as Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest! Optionally add #AdventureDogChat to your tweets or post title to help more people find your post!